LinkyParties FeaturedOn AdvertiseOn AboutUs ContactUs
Don't forget to link up to our weekly {{What I Made Wednesday Party}}!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Subway Art Flower Pot

F

My inspiration for this project came from all of your amazing subway art projects out there in blog world!  I wanted to add some character to this flower pot and thought subway art was the perfect way to go!  This project was for a Mother’s Day gift but would be perfect for any occasion.  I’m planning on making one for myself in the near future!

IMG_1309

To add a personal touch, I added my children’s handprints to the side of the flower pot using acrylic paint.  {{What Grandma can resist their grandchild’s handprint!?!? =) }}  To make the handprints you’ll need:

  • flower pot
  • acrylic paint
  • some sort of paintbush

IMG_1312IMG_1313

Paint your little one’s hand and quickly and carefully place it where you want on the bottom of the flower pot.  {{My 3 year old was MUCH better at cooperating with this project than my 2 year old…but it all turned out great!}}  Instead of painting both the left and the right hand, I just painted one hand and turned it so that it looked like a right and left hand on the flower pot.

image

IMG_1318

While my handprints were drying, I cut out my vinyl words using my Sure Cuts A Lot 2 program.  It is SO simple to use…love it!  All I did was choose different fonts for the words and lay them out on my mat the way I wanted them. When I was finished, I hit cut and my Cricut did all the work! 

IMG_1319

Once your words are cut, you’ll need to weed out the parts you don’t want…like the middle of the closed letters.  I usually use my fingernails for this part put Cricut makes some great tools to help with the stubborn pieces.

IMG_1321

After weeding, apply transfer tape to the top of the words.  I use the paper tape and love it.  It is easy to work with and you can still see through it.  Rub the transfer tape with quite a bit of pressure so that your words stick to the transfer tape.

IMG_1322

Apply your transfer tape to the upper lip of your flower pot.  Rub the letters firmly and then carefully pull the transfer tape away to reveal your lettering. 

IMG_1325

Now plant your flower and you’re finished!  I had some wonderful helpers to do the planting! =)

IMG_1327-1

I LOVE how it turned out!  Since this project was a Mother’s Day gift, I just wanted to say that I hope you all had an amazing day and got to spend some quality time with your families!

Briana_signature

20 SWEET COMMENTS::

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

Love the subway flower pot! What a great idea.

Nicole said...

What a great idea! I'm now inspired to create something similar for the pots in my herb garden! Thank you!!

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

This is really cute! I love it!

CreationsForEleanor said...

I just love it! I have been working on a couple different subway art designs for my house, however I would have never thought of doing it on a flower pot. I have been struggling with teachers gifts that I need to do by next week - this is what I will do! Thanks so much for sharing.

Ladybird Ln said...

What a sweet idea I love the shiny bold colors... I just love LOVE the watch band you sent me! I wore it to church and got so many nice compliments on it! Thank you SOOOO much!

Carlee

Kelly said...

what a wonderful idea! i love that you included handprints - precious!

The Williams Family said...

Love this idea!!! What a great spin on subway art!

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

This was a great idea! Love how that turned out!

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

It is awesome. Very creative.

grandma said...

I am the one that got this wonderful subway art flower pot and I love it. I will cherish it forever since it has my 2 precious little ones hand prints. It is a wonderful gift to give to grandmas!!

Jenn said...

What a great idea! I always love a project with little handprints! :)

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Briana - this is such a cute idea! I love the handprints...too cute! Thanks for sharing - Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
~Stephanie Lynn
www.bystephanielynn.com

Anonymous said...

This is SOOOO cute! I LOVE it! I just got a Cricut so I'm going to have to check out the sure cuts a lot program. Thanks for sharing!

http://craftysix.blogspot.com

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

what a sweet personal gift! love it

Unknown said...

Oh, this is so sweet! Great idea!

I would love to have you share this at my For the Kids link party! Come join the fun!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/for-kids-friday-9.html

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Cute idea!!
Thanks for linking this up as well!
xoxo,
Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

La-Dee-da crafter said...

I love this so much. What a great gift and the hand print is always a special gift!!!
ladeedacreations.com
following you now

Karen said...

Turned out adorable! Love the handprint idea and the subway art on a flower pot...genius!!
www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

Kindra said...

This is so cute...makes me want one of those cutting machines!

Shannon said...

Any suggestions for someone who doesn't have a cricut? :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...