LinkyParties FeaturedOn AdvertiseOn AboutUs ContactUs
Don't forget to link up to our weekly {{What I Made Wednesday Party}}!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Kitchen Tip: Get Rid Of Fruit Flies

This time a year, with all the produce coming into my home…..I seem to ALWAYS end up with fruit flies!  I am being nice when I say…I hate them!  I tried the trick that everyone tells you about….create a trap for them and lure them in with a piece of fruit!  Guess how many I caught….0!   That is right….a big 0! 

I had heard about this, but didn’t think it would work….boy was I wrong!  This is what I caught in the first couple of hours! {{I apologize ahead of time if you think this is gross}}

September 002

The longer I left it out, the more I caught!  Let’s just say that I did a happy dance….I finally found a trick that REALLY works!

Want to know how I did it?

Secret Fruit Fly Solution

  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Liquid dish soap (any kind)September 010

 

  • Pour a small amount of apple cider vinegar into a small container of your choice

. September 007

  • Add a very small amount of dish soap into the container.

September 008

That’s it!  Place your container(s) in a location where you notice the most fruit flies.  Mine happened to be my kitchen & my bathroom.  The dish soap changes the surface tension of the vinegar so that once the fruit flies fly in….there is NO flying back out! 

Alisa_Signature

27 SWEET COMMENTS::

Mindy said...

Ack, those nasty things! I hate 'em. I'm pinning this and will try it out in my kitchen!

jlwilmer said...

I love this trick, I've been using it for a couple of years now and it works great!!!

Brittany said...

I had fruit flies so bad when we lived in Japan, I don't know where they had came from since we didn't have very much fresh produce in the house. I tried everything, finally I heard about this and tried it.
It worked wonders. I didn't have any left after a few days. I used a bottle however, so if the dish soap didn't stick em it was harder for then to crawl out since their wings were wet.

I use this now when ever I have any amount of the stupid things. Its all I will ever use :)

Inspired By June said...

Great tip, Alisa! That is the only method that has worked for me, as well.

Nancy said...

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely try it. Fruit flies have been my nemesis lately!

Bailey K. | Travel Heals said...

i'm definitely going to try this asap. i hate fruit flies! :)

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

Venassa said...

We have an apple cider vinegar trap out, which has worked okay but I had no idea that you could use it with dishsoap. Ours has a paper funnel taped into the glass so they get under the paper and cant figure out how to get back out.

Katie said...

This is awesome! I recently tried a different thing I found in blog land and it didn't work nearly as well as I wanted. I will definitely be trying this!

Nikki Monet said...

This make my day!! In the summer time these little bugs are the worst!! Thanks for sharing. I would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party!
http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/09/bedazzle-me-monday-1.html

Fifi said...

great tip!! thank you for sharing, I will definitely be trying this!



New follower, looking forward to more of your posts!

Heidi said...

THANKS! I had them a few weeks ago and I thought I was going to lose my mind! I tried the "trap" with a piece of fruit too...made sense...caught NOTHING! I will definitely save this and use it next time. I can't thank you enough!!

Heidi@HomemadeBeautiesByHeidi

Amanda said...

I have hundreds!! I have been catching them like crazy but somehow they are also breeding (or so it seems). I have been at it 3 days, I'm wondering how long this is going to take for me........(but it is working)

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

It takes quite awhile! I think you are right....they breed like crazy! :( Just be patient!

Alisa

Jennifer V said...

From one fruit fly hater to another.... thank you! I will try this out as soon as I can get to the store to buy apple cider vinegar!

Pest Control Portland said...

You are right on your choosing apple cider vinegar. Fruit flies think that they are rotting stuff and they dive right through it.

Anonymous said...

because the fruit flies are actually breeding in your homes you need to get rid of them where they breed and the larvae. they arent breeding when theyre flying around. pour boiling water dopwn all of your drains everyday until you dont see them anymore. they are bredding in your drains.
the vinegar and soap work well for killing the adults that fly around your kichen and bathroom

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem and found out that the pesky bugs are actually called drain flies. If I am correct, they do not eat fruit and thus the reason for not being attracted to your original bait. Anonymous is right about treating your drains.

Anonymous said...

I will have to try that next time. We had them so bad for a while I couldnt drink a glass of wine without one flying in...so finally I put a glass of wine out and left it, and they all flew into it..lol

Leiah said...

Woke up Thanksgiving morning with people coming over to eat and an infestation of these horrible things in my house. I did the paper cone with a piece of banana in the bottom of the jar but nothing. I've treated the drain with bleach, then 'boiled' it with vinegar & baking soda. I'm at my wit's end. So hoping this works!

Tracey M. said...

Thank you for this great tip!! I found it on Pinterest and will definitely try this at the next "infestation". I try hunting them down & squishing them, but this will be so much better and FASTER.

Anonymous said...

So I guess mama was wrong you catch more flies with vinegar then you do with honey.

Anonymous said...

So I guess mama was wrong you catch more flies with vinegar then you do with honey.

Anonymous said...

I take a glass of wine and put saran wrap over it. Poke a tiny hole in the wrap and leave it out. I've caught hundreds this way. I do like the idea of not having to use the saran wrap though so might have to try this next time I leave a drink out when I leave for the weekend and return to an infestation.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying I have Apple Cider in my fridge right now. I have these so bad and can't figure out why since I have had no fruit out in weeks. I can't wait to try this but I'm also happy I read the comment about treating the drains since I was at a loss for where they are coming from. Thank you, thank you, thank you, you have saved me from going crazy from these nasty little bugs!!!!

Michelle said...

I will have to try this because the little buggers drive me insane!

I have been pretty succesful with putting a bit of apple cider vinegar into a glass, then placing saran wrap over the top of the glass and poking a couple of small holes in the wrap...they go in and can't seem to get out. I think they must really love the apple cider vinegar!

Unknown said...

we have a really big garden.. I think they are attracted to the veggies we bring in. I try to get em put up or in the frig asap, the apple vinger does work i also put saranwrap on top of bowl, also my husband realized this keeping all of the drains in the house closed off when not using them REALLY HELPS he said most of em come from the drains. This simple lil thing helped SO MUCH.. You wont believe.. Hope it works for you too

Anonymous said...

I've been this for several years now and stuff is amazing and works like a charm! Here's you another tip: Most of the time these little creatures from hell aren't fruit flies at all, they're drain gnats. That's why you see so many of them with little or no fruit at all in your home. Use the ACV and Dawn as directed in the post and before you go to bed at night pour a small amount of ammonia down all drains in your home and plug them with a stopper and leave overnight. In the morning, pour a gallon of boiling hot water down each drain to get rid of any ammonia smell that may linger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...