LinkyParties FeaturedOn AdvertiseOn AboutUs ContactUs
Don't forget to link up to our weekly {{What I Made Wednesday Party}}!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Family Name Stacker Blocks

IMG_0942

I recently had the honor to be a guest poster over at Craft-O-Maniac!  Thanks again Jen for having me!!  In case you missed my post, here is my tutorial.

IMG_0750

First you’ll need to get a 2x4.  The biggest reason I love this project is because of the price…if you don’t have a 2x4 lying around your garage they are so inexpensive to buy! 

Cut your blocks into the following lengths:

First Letter of last name - 8”

Last portion of last name - 8”

Established date - 6”

IMG_0752

Then, using an electric sander, sand the edges until they are rounded and smoothed.  {You could definitely do it by hand if you’re so inclined!}

IMG_0793

Now for the paint!  I decided to start by painting my sanded blocks brown, knowing that the majority of the front surface would be covered with scrapbook paper.  {And, I finally found a use for those frequently purchased diaper boxes! =) }

IMG_0915

After the paint has dried completely it’s time for Mod Podge!!  {I heart you Mod Podge!!!} 

IMG_0913

Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the front of the block and smooth down your coordinating paper precut to the dimensions of the front of the block.

IMG_0916

I don’t wait for the first layer of Mod Podge to dry, I immediately coat the top of the scrapbook paper with another thick layer of Mod Podge.  {Pretty sure I’m not following the Mod Podge directions but it all turns out okay!}  I like to see the brush strokes, so I add quite a bit!  Using an old credit card, or something similar, smooth out any excess bubbles.  As it is drying, it will seem to bubble slightly.  **Don’t stress…they seem to flatten out as it dries!**

IMG_0922

I like the rustic look, so using sand paper, I roughed up the edges and took some of the paint off of the edges.  Now it’s time for the vinyl!  Using my Sure Cuts A Lot 2 software and my favorite font, Larger Mine, I cut out the letters using my Cricut.  {What did I ever do without you Sure Cuts A Lot!?!?!  SO much easier!}  I apologize, but I don’t have any pictures of this step.

IMG_0943

Now stack your blocks and you’re finished! 

Briana_signature

22 SWEET COMMENTS::

Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

SOOO cute! i want to do this but I'll have to make mine with photoshop. I don't have a cricut *sigh* lol

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter said...

So cute! I love that font! And I also LOVE SCAL! I use it all the time!!!

Kelly

Lindsay said...

Found you on TT&J. Love this idea & LOVE SCAL. I too have a Cricut & don't know how I ever got along without it.

Susan said...

So cute and whimsical! What a nice personal touch.

I found you from Tatertots & Jello!

Renae said...

visiting from it's a crafty life..

I love this... a perfect gift for newly weds or a new birth...

BTW... i think mod podge is heaven sent :0)

have a wonderful weekend

CreationsForEleanor said...

I just saw this on TT&J, when I clicked over I saw it was your blog. This will be week 2 of ideas from you:) I go to Lowes on a regular basis and have them cut 2x4's up for me. This will also be a great gift, just like the flower pots!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Cute idea!! Love it!
Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
Hope to see you again tomorrow! :)
xoxo from Germany,
Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

Jill said...

What a great project! Nice budget for it too!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

love this idea because it is new and easy to me
KAT

Laura Beth said...

I love this great entry way decor idea. I'll be sharing it in my first ever, Blogland's Fabulous Friday Finds.

www.astepinthejourney.blogspot.com

jess@balancing the dream said...

I love love love this!!! great job! I'm pinning it!

Laura O in AK said...

Great idea! So glad you shared it on the Creative Blogger's hop where I saw it.

Ashley said...

turned out great! i love the sides how they look kinda torn. i can never get that look. but i love it:) great job!!!

Amber said...

I love this project! I am definitely going to be doing this soon. Thanks for the great idea!

Adrianne Surian said...

Saw you at lovely little snippets - what an adorable idea! I have no eye for home decor, I swear... I envy you decorator mamas!

Happy to be your newest follower,
Adrianne
happyhourprojects.blogspot.com

Brie @ Darling Doodles said...

This is such a sweet idea! Love it! I came over from the Link Party at Saved By Love Creations. Thanks for sharing!
darlingoodles.blogspot.com

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

I love your blocks! They are super cute and I have not seen anything like them! That is hard to say in the blog-o-sphere!

I would love for you to link up your post at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/07/bog-party-2

I am a new follower!

Jenn said...

Your blocks turned out great Briana! I have been wanting to do something like this too. Thanks for the inspiration! Hope to see you back again next week at The Creative Spark!
Jenn ;)

Jenn said...

Me again! I forgot to mention that I will be featuring this on my facebook page tomorrow. Thanks again!
Jenn :)

Elizabeth Roskam said...

I am trying to Figure out how to go this with a name like Van Bruggen. you have some suggestions for me?

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

Emily: I would do your blocks exactly the same. the only thing you'll have to do is make your vinyl for "Van Bruggen" a little smaller so it all fits. Hope that helps!

Briana

Anonymous said...

When pluralizing a family name, you do not use an apostrophe prior to adding s. For example, "The Harpers" is correct, but "The Harper's" is not correct. If you are showing possessive case for the family's house, it would be "The Harpers' House," with the apostrophe following the s.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...